Heavy Fighting is one of the most visible of the SCA’s crafts.
Fighters can either make their own armour (after researching styles and methods of armoury) or if they can afford it, armour can be purchased on line or at Markets held at events around the Kingdom. (see the wiki, Articles – Links, for on-line articles about making armour)
The new would-be fighter, needs to train in SCA style fighting and be authorised by an official Marshal prior to entering the Lists in a Tournament. No SCA style fighting may be carried out unless a Marshal is present. The marshal is equivalent to a referee or umpire.
In some states, you must carry an authorisation card and/or a membership card if you carry an SCA weapon in any public place. They may only be rattan and not edged, but they are still a proscribed weapon.
- Round Robin: where every fighter faces every other fighter at least once;
- Single Kill – Double Elimination: what it says (like having 2 lives for the whole tourney);
- Best of Three: this is per bout usually (like having 3 lives per bout);
- King of the Hill: one person stays “in” and fights all comers until defeated;
- Body Parts Tourney: in this tourney normal kills don’t count, but if you lose the body part specified for that round, then you are out;
- Chivalric Melee: when all fighters are on the field at once, but fight one-on-one;
- Unchivalric Melee: all fighters are on the field at once, and may team up to defeat an opponent;
- Pas d’Armes: a tourney in which a different weapon is used each round, to test the fighters’ ability with different weapons classes;
- Ransom Tourney: a challenge tourney where the winners take a piece of gold prize from the losers. The more highly ranked the fighter the more gold they must pay on being defeated. The winner is the fighter with the most gold at the end of the tourney;
- Field Tourney: where teams go to a rallying point which signifies a particular challenge, and await a competitor team to accept the challenge;
- Fighter Auction Tourney: where the populace bid for a fighter, who then fights for the honour of their purchaser (fought in one of the above styles).
AT THE BUTTS:
- Inter Kingdom Archery Competition – IKAC;
- Distance Shoot – Standard and Period;
- Speed Shoot – Standard and Period.
- During War Scenarios, and events such as The Agincourt Run;
- Combat Archery Tournament – which can be Round Robin, Single Kill-Dbl Elim, etc/
Fighting with non-rattan weapons, including sabre, epee and rapier.
Unlike Olympic style fencing, SCA style rapier is not fought in a single line, fighters can move throughout the whole of the Lists field.